Justice For Kathleen & Stacy
March 28, 2024, 07:51:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome To Justice For Kathleen & Stacy

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

07/18/08 - FRIDAY'S THREAD - Discussion Board

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 07/18/08 - FRIDAY'S THREAD - Discussion Board  (Read 2061 times)
HeDidIt

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:56:20 pm »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-drew-peterson-both-18jul18,0,7679524.story

Drew Peterson's lawyers end effort to block wrongful-death suit in Savio case
Drew Peterson's lawyers withdraw motion to halt case

By Erika Slife | Chicago Tribune reporter
July 18, 2008
Lawyers representing the estate of Drew Peterson's third wife are now free to file a wrongful-death lawsuit against Peterson after his attorneys withdrew a motion Thursday that sought to block them.

But attorneys for Kathleen Savio's estate said that a wrongful-death lawsuit against the former Bolingbrook police sergeant likely won't be initiated until after the grand jury investigating Savio's death was discharged.

"That's something we'll have to look at," said John Q. Kelly, a New York attorney representing the Savio family. Kelly was the lawyer for Nicole Brown Simpson's family in a successful civil suit against O.J. Simpson.

"We still have to wait for some finality from the current grand jury investigation," Kelly said.

Drew Peterson news The special grand jury in Will County is investigating the mysterious circumstances surrounding Savio's death in 2004, as well as the Oct. 28 disappearance of Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy, then 23.

Savio, 40, was found dead in an empty bathtub in her Bolingbrook home. Her divorce to Peterson was only weeks away from being finalized.

Although her death initially was ruled an accident, authorities in February reclassified it as murder after a second autopsy was conducted after Stacy Peterson disappeared.

In February, Savio's relatives filed a petition to reopen her estate in preparation for a wrongful-death lawsuit against Peterson, 54. In April, Will County Judge Carmen Goodman granted their request and named Savio's father and sister as new executors of her estate, replacing Drew Peterson's uncle.

Attorneys for Peterson, who has not been charged and denies any wrongdoing in either case, promptly appealed Goodman's ruling.

Joel Brodsky, one of Peterson's attorneys, said he withdrew his motion to delay the court proceedings to reopen Savio's estate because he expects the Illinois Appellate Court to make its decision in the next couple of months.

And besides, he said, if Savio's attorneys file a wrongful-death lawsuit, he'll have subpoena powers to interview grand jury witnesses.

eslife@tribune.com

Report Spam   Logged

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.~There are horrible people who, instead of solving a problem, tangle it up and make it harder to solve for anyone who wants to deal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

thinkaboutit

The truth NEVER changes.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:51:00 am »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-drew-peterson-both-18jul18,0,7679524.story

"We still have to wait for some finality from the current grand jury investigation," Kelly said.

Sounds like the Savio's are realizing that they don't want to be the ones to help Drew's defense team get hold of the grand jury witnesses.  I think that is why in most cases the criminal case comes before a civil one.
Report Spam   Logged
thinkaboutit

The truth NEVER changes.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:51:45 am »

From the transcript of Nancy Grace show on 3/21/08:

BRODSKY: No. My client, Drew Peterson, did not have any guns in his possession after that search warrant.

Link: http://www.cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0803/21/ng.01.html

However, the document for the gun transfer to Paula was the day after his FOID card was revoked (which was well after the search warrants were enforced).

I've still been banging my head around the internet trying to find out something. Is it the responbility of the person to turn over all or their weapons or is it up to the police to find them??  Can you be charged with obstruction of justice if you don't turn in all of your guns or items listed on a search warrant even if it was because the police just didn't see it? I still recall Drew or Joel saying something about this (or maybe it was just something Rick Mims said Drew said) but can't find anything supporting that.
Report Spam   Logged
bubbasmom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:18:04 am »

BRODSKY: No. My client, Drew Peterson, did not have any guns in his possession after that search warrant.

However, the document for the gun transfer to Paula was the day after his FOID card was revoked (which was well after the search warrants were enforced).

I've still been banging my head around the internet trying to find out something. Is it the responbility of the person to turn over all or their weapons or is it up to the police to find them??  Can you be charged with obstruction of justice if you don't turn in all of your guns or items listed on a search warrant even if it was because the police just didn't see it? I still recall Drew or Joel saying something about this (or maybe it was just something Rick Mims said Drew said) but can't find anything supporting that.

I don't know for sure, but I would think that if the police asked him if he had any other weapons, he would have to answer honestly.
Report Spam   Logged
thinkaboutit

The truth NEVER changes.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:52:48 am »

I don't know for sure, but I would think that if the police asked him if he had any other weapons, he would have to answer honestly.

That is what I would think too.  I'd also think that the police could charge you with obstruction of justice if you don't comply fully with a search warrant or hide something that could be related to a crime.
Report Spam   Logged
chiefgirl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:41:10 pm »

That is what I would think too.  I'd also think that the police could charge you with obstruction of justice if you don't comply fully with a search warrant or hide something that could be related to a crime.

Yeah, like the body of your dead wife!
Report Spam   Logged
Wolfie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:37 pm »

JOLIET, Ill., July 18 (UPI) -- Hearings in Illinois will continue into the death of a former police officer's wife after unusual court proceedings and the disappearance of his latest wife.

A surprise move by attorneys for retired Bolingbrook, Ill., police officer Drew Peterson, 50, has allowed probate proceedings to continue into the death of Kathleen Savio, 40. She was Peterson's third wife on March 1, 2004, when she was found dead in a dry bathtub. A coroner's jury ruled she died accidentally but the case was reopened, now with permission from both sides, after Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy, 23, disappeared last October, the Herald News newspaper in Joliet, Ill., reported Friday.

Peterson's attorney, Joel Brodsky, withdrew a motion to halt the case Thursday, even though it could help lead to a wrongful death suit from the estate of Savio. But Brodsky told the Chicago Tribune that if a wrongful death suit proceeds he'll also gain subpoena powers to interview grand jury witnesses in regards to his client, who hasn't been charged in either death.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/18/Hearing_continues_in_death_of_wife_of_cop/UPI-20581216395742/
Report Spam   Logged
chiefgirl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:02:39 pm »

Merriam-Webster dictionary;
jokester :joker noun :an insignificant, obnoxious, or incompetent person

There you have it! Drew IS a jokester!
His own laywers are calling him a damn fool and he agrees. LOL!!!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum